Recently I was delighted to discover that the Latin name for the Jay bird means garrulous (Garrulus glandarius in full) and decided to make an initial J for myself. This was by way of testing a new kind of paper which I found in Shepherds Falkiners, the bookbinders' supplier in London. I've already forgotten exactly what it was called, so I shall have the pleasure of looking through their sample books all over again if I want any more. It is some kind of vellum or parchment paper and has some of the waxy crispness and slight translucency of the real thing. Unfortunately it cockles just like the real thing too, so stretching and a dry brush are required. I've been looking for a vellum substitute for a while - the real thing is (quite rightly) very expensive for speculative work, and I need an alternative for vegetarian art buyers! Not sure whether this is it yet, I need to test it out some more. So far I can say it is a great deal less costly than the hot press watercolour papers I have used up till now, and less fibrous under the brush..
The view from my desk
Current work, places and events, art travel, and interesting snippets about Christian icons, medieval art, manuscript illumination, egg tempera , gilding, technique and materials.